Brands can be something we love discussing and the companies will hate being discussed. However, it is needed. They say nothing is more powerful than word of mouth and the best subwoofer brand will thrive on this and their reputation. If you are bored with all the specs and you need to find out where to get started with the brand, this article is for you.
We have taken a tour down the dark side of the sound business to find out which brands actually stand true to their word when it comes to quality. This is something you will see in the review section and while we do not discourage you from trying out other reputable brands, we also kept the price in mind. This article is mostly tailored for beginners going into 2019.
Why Should You Consider Looking At The Brand?
Speakers and subwoofers are easily falsified and many cheaper brands or third world countries are capitalizing on this. If you don’t believe me, try visiting a second-hand store and look at some of the subwoofers they sell as brand new. Many of these are really cheap but don’t expect them to light up the party. They might be good for your movie night with a girlfriend.
The brand is fundamentally important when it comes to quality and we always try to find the best possible quality and give you the best products. It is really important to look at the brand if you want the best.
What To Look Out Before Buying The Best Subwoofer
Individuals will take 3 aspects into consideration while comparing competition subwoofers: price, brand, and power. We wanted to supply a variety of options which will match a range of specifications and budgets. Some would also keep in mind that studio subwoofers may vary a lot from subwoofers for home.
Your possibilities of purchasing the best subwoofer for your requirements are significantly enhanced in case you comprehend the fundamentals of exactly what almost all the different specifications imply – this way you can buy the suitable subwoofer for your room and audio system.
The main thing to pay attention to power is that in most cases, the more power you may have the greater. Getting more power does not imply that you need to enjoy the subwoofer any louder (except if you would like to); however, it does imply that it is going to operate much better than a low powered device at the same level volume.
Generally speaking, a larger driver will certainly provide much more bass. Drivers of the subwoofer are approximately 12″ in size, even though they may be smaller. The size of the driver is not the complete story. Power is also an important factor.
In case volume is your principal interest, placing the subwoofer in a corner or against a wall will provide an improvement. This will not always be great for the quality of sound, however. The most effective way to try that is to sit in your preferred listening position and also get another person to test the subwoofer out in different places.
As we have already mentioned, the best subwoofer brand will thrive and live off their brand and reputation. The brand reputation can easily be found with a little bit of research and we suggest you put in the time and the effort to do so. Look for great brands and you will definitely get the best possible value for your money in the on and short-term.
Best Subwoofer Brands At An Affordable Price
Working through every elite brand will take us forever. Therefore, we have isolated some of the best subwoofers and put them together in this list. They might not be the elite brands, but they are affordable for most buyers. If you need a new subwoofer that can even be used for competition purposes, have a look at some of the following options:
Size: 8 inch
Frequency Range: 18Hz – 150Hz
Power: 300 Watts
Auto On/Off: Signal Sensing
Manufacturer: Definitive Technology
Why not start out search with a top quality brand like Definitive Technology – with such a wide variety of options, it was hard, but the Definitive Technology ProSub 1000 stood out as one of the very best on the market today and we simply had to make it our number one pick for this list.
The ProCenter 1000 from Definitive Technology also has two 4.5″ pressure bass radiators on the edges of the device. These are not extra drivers, but they assist the subwoofers and bring the extra bass to the sound. This increases the radiating area of the core speaker with no need to boost the size.
As it is small in dimensions, this particular middle speaker can simply rest on the top of the television or entertainment center. It is 5″ deep, and it includes an integrated foot to maintain it steady if you are resting this on the top of a Television. While the price can be a little expensive, it can be used for virtually all of your needs and we recommend it as our Top Subwoofer.
- 300W RMS for a THUNDEROUS SOUL-SHAKING BASS RIGHT IN YOUR LIVING ROOM - ProSub 800 is equipped with a high excursion 8" front-mounted direct-radiating woofer pressure-coupled to an 8" low bass radiator
- BRING HIGH DEFINITION MUSIC TO LIFE – Infinite Power Source Amplifier, Discrete MOSFET output devices, and a unique radiator design provides 27% greater radiating area than a single 10-inch woofer so you can enjoy deep impactful music anywhere
- CREATE A FULL HOME THEATER SYSTEM - For an immersive cinematic experience, pair this sub with the ProCenter 1000 center channel and ProMonitor 800 satellite speakers or just add it to your existing setup for extra boom and punch
- ADJUSTABLE FEET FOR BETTER STABILITY - The ProSub comes with four integrated feet with rubber tips for secure placement on any hard floor. You can even adjust the height, if the floor surface is uneven
- ENDLESS CONNECTIONS AND EASY INTEGRATION - Connect this sub to any stereo or multi-channel audio system using the wide range of Line-Level & Speaker-Level Input & Output connections. It is very convenient and quick
Size: 8 inch
Frequency Range: 16Hz – 200Hz
Power: 1200 Watt
Manufacturer: Definitive Technology
Definitive Technologies kept us coming back for more once we came across the Definitive Technology SC-4000 Subwoofer. It is much similar to the previous version – in fact, they also share the same name. However, it is rated amongst the best 8in subwoofers on the market today and this makes it smaller and portable.
In case you want almost all the higher-impact bass exhilaration of the best home theater sound systems without the need to use a good amount of floor-space, and in case you want the wireless connectivity and latest features, then this is the subwoofer to suit your needs. The SuperCube 4000 is the latest product in the famous SuperCube Series and includes the latest digital technologies for the bass performance which will certainly make you slack-jawed in delight and amazement.
Because of enhanced active drivers, brand new Class HD higher power amplifiers and a 56-bit microprocessor preamp with DSP, the latest subwoofers provide greatly enhanced overall performance in comparison to earlier products. In addition to being highly effective, the new Definitive subwoofers are eco-friendly. When it is in “not doing anything” mode, the SuperCubes pull a 1/2 watt of less or current, meeting international specifications for the consumption of low energy. It is also worth noting that the price is slightly more affordable.
- A SUPERIOR SOLUTION FOR HIGH-IMPACT BASS IN A SMALL FOOTPRINT. Definitive’s SuperCube 4000 is powered by a built-in 1200W digital tracking amplifier and features an exclusive 8” high-tech woofer pressure-coupled to two (2) 8” Ultra-Low Bass Radiators
- PRECISE BASS FOR MUSIC AND A DEEP RUMBLE FOR MOVIES – Add this subwoofer to your existing setup and immerse yourself in GROUNDBREAKING BASS with accurate sound reproductions and more intense sound effects driven by the active sub and passive radiator
- ROCK SOLID CABINET DESIGN DRIVES PERFORMANCE -The specially engineered, non-resonant cabinet uses multiple internal bracings to make sure that you hear clean bass without sound-muddying vibrations
- SEAMLESS INTEGRATION WITH MULTI-CHANNEL RECEIVERS – The included single LFE input makes setup with nearly any two-channel or multichannel speaker system quick and easy. Connects to the RCA output on your A/V receiver so you can enjoy great music instantly
- THE PERFECT COMPLEMENT TO ANY AUDIO SYSTEM – Definitive Technology's relentless engineering, superior sound quality & impeccable design make this Ultra-compact subwoofer a definite winner
Size: 8 inch
Frequency Range: 30Hz – 150Hz
Power: 300 Watts
Impedance: 10k Ohms
If Definitive Technologies does not tickle your curiosity, the Paradigm Cinema Subwoofer might do so. After all, it also features a small 8-inch design and makes many of the elite subwoofers fail in comparison. Many users have also dubbed it excellent when used in confined and regulated competitions amongst good subwoofers.
The Cinema Subwoofer is approximately a 13-inch cube having dual ports, and also houses just one 8-inch driver and even a 100 watts RMS amplifier. There are the variable controls for the two crossover point and output level, which will go from 35 Hertz to 150 Hertz, and also is defeat-able. Additionally, on the back panel, there is a switch (0 or 180 degrees) and also a standby/auto/on the power switch. You will not find inputs for speaker-level, only RCA (line-level).
The subwoofer also offers a detachable 2-prong power wire and arrives with an installation template and also 4 rubber feet which the user should set up themselves. You have the choice of installing the feet (with integrated adhesive tape) to glossy side or even making use of screws to install to grill-cloth side. This enables the user to switch the appearance of the subwoofer.
Price is not too much of an issue with this subwoofer and we believe it might be in close competition with the best competitions subwoofers. If this is what you are interested, it is definitely worth having a look.
Size: 12 inch
Frequency Range: 23Hz – 160Hz
Power: 300 Watts
Dynamic Power: 460 Watts
Manufacturer: Polk Audio
Polk is definitely a brand that most people will recognize. They rank well when it comes to the best 15-inch subwoofers, but the Polk Audio PSW505 12” Powered Sub is only 12-inches, which makes it large and enables it to pack a massive punch when you are looking for excellent sound. Here is a short description of this subwoofer:
This is one of the best 12 inch subwoofer we have ever used. This particular premium quality run subwoofer can make the whole new dimensions of exciting low-end sound for home and audio theater systems as well. This particular flexible, scientifically precise monster deals with bullets and bombs and sensitive string sections together with the same finesse. PSW series of powered subwoofers coming from Polk Audio was made to provide effective and extraordinarily music bass in incredibly low prices.
As it is created making use of MDF material, this particular subwoofer is more durable and denser compared to subwoofers manufactured with inexpensive materials. The strong structure maintains the subwoofer steady throughout the use and also keeps it from trembling exceedingly. The thicker front panels decrease distortion and assist maintain the response time appropriate. It possesses the best 12 inch subwoofer sound quality which will amaze you definitely. On the same direction of 12-inch subwoofers, we have also made a fresh review on the best 12 inch car subwoofers for 2018!
- The S8 Subwoofer delivers great bass performance and provides LOW, TIGHT AND SMOOTH BASS.
- FEATURES 8-inch powered down-firing subwoofer, auto-sleep power saving mode, solid hand-finished, front-ported MDF cabinet, dual line-level inputs (RCA and mini-jack) and LFE, frequency response: 27Hz - 180Hz (+/-1.5dB).
- WORKS WITH Turntables with built-in or external preamps, all powered and passive speakers, TVs with an analog output, CD and DVD players, video game consoles and all products with 1/8" mini-jack or RCA outputs.
- WHAT’S INCLUDED: Audioengine S8 Subwoofer, RCA cables, power and 1.5m mini-jack audio cables, quickstart guide.
- WARRANTY: Audioengine builds quality speakers that they stand behind. All Audioengine products come with a 3-year transferable warranty.
Size: 12 inch
Frequency Range: 24Hz – 120Hz
Power: 300 Watts
Colour: Gloss Black Finish
Klipsch is another excellent brand and while they are not as widely known as many of the other brands we have seen, the Klipsch Sub-12HG Synergy Series 12’’ is definitely climbing the ranks and making people think twice before buying other subs. To help you understand it a little better, have a look at some of the excellent features:
The Sub-12 HG obtains its intensity coming from a 12″, down-firing driver combined to an extremely effective BASH amplifier which generates 300 watts of constant power and also 650 watts dynamic power.
The steep-slope lower-pass and built-in crossover of the subwoofer are continuously variable from 40Hz to 120Hz. A phase control allows for the acoustical integration of this subwoofer together with the other audio speakers in the system. A particular “auto power” feature allows the subwoofer to turn it off and on on-auto-pilot, depending on the absence or presence of an audio signal. A red/blue twin color LED screen on the front of subwoofer shows whether the device is in or on standby mode.
We have consulted many users and some think it might be a little too expensive. However, you will need to spend to get the best and with our tests; it certainly holds its own amongst the big dogs of the industry. This is an excellent subwoofer for the avid music and sound enthusiast.
- Affordable 12-inch down-firing woofer produces best-in-class deep bass and output
- Precision matched BASH amplifier delivers 650 booming watts of dynamic power (300 watts RMS)
- Significantly extends the bass range, dynamics & performance of virtually any audio or home theater system
- Features line-level (RCA) inputs & speaker-level inputs for connection to any audio system,Frequency Response: 24Hz-120Hz +/- 3dB; Auto-on/off, variable low-pass filter, switchable 0-180 phase control and level adjustment for precise integration with any audio system.
Which One Has You Interested?
A few subwoofers contain a woofer, which fires straightly in your direction. Others contain a woofer that fires down in the direction of the ground. While both may appear somewhat different for acoustical factors, comes neither with a built-in benefit of the other or a specific feature of sound which can be related to this.
Buying a home entertainment subwoofer is fascinating! However, it may be instead complicated to understand which subwoofer is the most effective with so many products you can purchase today. Each one of these subs can be the perfect one that suits your needs. This is clear that getting the incorrect home theater subwoofer can be expensive and annoying. Our testing involved the literal testing of all the above-mentioned product, finding the standout features and the drawbacks.
I hope this post helped you to a great extent to choose the best subwoofer brand for you. Our tips should help you if you need a different subwoofer or if you need more power like the best 15 inch subwoofers. Nevertheless, let us know in the comment section which one has made you curious and if you consider buying a new subwoofer.
Last update on 2020-06-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API